Graduate students in sociology at UA routinely publish original research in a number of competitive venues. These publications include sole authorships in peer-reviewed journals based on MA or dissertation research, collaborations between students and faculty, as well as collaborations between students. The list below contains selected publications by our current graduate students, as well as by former graduate students if published or accepted before they received their PhDs. See the websites and CVs of individual graduate students for more complete listings of all publications.
2019 and Forthcoming
- Davis, Andrew P. and Yongjun Zhang. Forthcoming “Civil Society and Exposure to Domestic Terrorist Attacks: Evidence from a Cross-National Quantitative Analysis, 1970-2010.” International Journal of Comparative Sociology
- Davis, Andrew P. and Michael Gibson-Light. Forthcoming. “Difference and Punishment: Ethno-Political Exclusion, Colonial Institutional Legacies, and Incarceration.” Punishment and Society.
- Fiel, Jeremy E., and Yongjun Zhang. Forthcoming. “With All Deliberate Speed: The Reversal of Court-Ordered School Desegregation, 1970-2013.” American Journal of Sociology.
- Joslyn, Jacqueline. 2019. “Bribery in Sub-Saharan Africa: The Mediating Effects of Institutional Development and Trust.” Socius, 5: 1-17.
- Leahey, Erin, Sondra Barringer and Misty Ring-Ramirez. 2019. “Universities' Structural Commitment to Interdisciplinary Research.” Scientometrics.
- Pfaffendorf, Jessica. Forthcoming. “Wayward Elites: From Social Reproduction to Social Restoration at a Therapeutic Boarding School.” Social Psychology Quarterly.
- Abramson, Corey, Jacqueline Joslyn, Daniel Dohan. 2018. “The Promises of Computational Ethnography.” Ethnography.
- Bjorklund, Eric, Andrew P. Davis, and Jessica Pfaffendorf. 2018. “Urine or You’re Out: Racialized Economic Threat and the Determinants of Welfare Drug Testing Requirements in the U.S., 2009-2015.” The Sociological Quarterly.
- Diaz, Christina J., Liwen Zeng, and Ana P. Martinez-Donate. 2018. “Investigating Health Selection Within Mexico and Across the US Border.” Population Research and Policy Review 1–24.
- Davis, Andrew P. and Beksahn Jang. 2018. “Civilian Targeting as Interaction Ritual: Evidence from Insurgent Groups in Cross-National Context.” Comparative Sociology.
- Gibson-Light, Michael. 2018. “Ramen Politics: Informal Money and Logics of Resistance in the Contemporary American Prison.” Qualitative Sociology. 41(2):199-220.
- Johnstonbaugh, Morgan. 2018. “Where are all of the Women? Untangling the Effects of Representation, Participation, and Preferences on Gender Differences in Political Press Coverage” Socius 4: 1 – 12. doi: 10.1177/2378023118793738
- Joslyn, Jacqueline. 2018. “A Comparison of Sources of Business Acumen for Entrepreneurs Originating from Developed and Developing Countries.” Journal of Rural Social Sciences, 33(1): 101-114.
- Kinney, Alexander B., Andrew P. Davis, and Yongjun Zhang. 2018. "Theming for Terror: Organizational Adornment in Terrorist Organizations." Poetics.
- Mayer, Brian, Amelia Blume, Candace Black, and Sally Stevens. 2018. “Improving Student Learning Outcomes through Community-based Research: The Poverty Workshop.” Teaching Sociology.
- Suh, Hyungjun, Terrence D. Hill, and Harold G. Koenig. Forthcoming, "Religious Attendance and Biological Risk: A National Longitudinal Study of Older Adults", Journal of Religion and Health.
- Varga, A. (2018). Novelty and Foreseeing Research Trends: The Case of Astrophysics and Astronomy. The Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series, 236(1), 21.
- Addae, Angela. 2017. "Pathways to Sector Selection: A Conceptual Framework for Social Entrepreneurs." Nonprofit Management and Leadership.
- Anderson, Kathryn, Eric Bjorklund, and Simone Rambotti. 2017 “Income Inequality and Chronic Health Conditions: A Multilevel Analysis of the U.S. States” Sociological Focus.
- Andrews, Hannah, Terrence D. Hill, and William C. Cockerham. Forthcoming. "Educational Attainment and Dietary Lifestyles." In Brea Perry and Sara Shostak Advances in Medical Sociology Volume 18: Food Systems and Health. Emerald Group Publishing.
Bjorklund, Eric. 2017. "Out of Many, One? U.S. Sub-National Political-Economies in the Post-Welfare Reform Era." Socio-Economic Review.
Bjorklund, Eric. 2017. "Just One Click Away: The Politics of E-Commerce Sales Tax Policy," Sociological Inquiry.
Davis, Andrew. 2017. "A social ecology of civil conflict: Shifting allegiances in the conflict in Sierra Leone," Social Science Research.
Gibson-Light, Michael. 2017. “Classification Struggles in Semi-Formal and Precarious Work: Lessons from Inmate Labor and Cultural Production.” Research in the Sociology of Work. 31:61-90.
Johnstonbaugh, Morgan. 2017. “Conquering with Capital: Social, Cultural, and Economic Capital’s Role in Combating Socioeconomic Disadvantage and Contributing to Educational Attainment” Journal of Youth Studies 21(5): 590 – 606. doi: 10.1080/13676261.2017.1406069
Leahey, Erin and Amelia Blume. 2017. “Elucidating the Process: Why Women Patent Less than Men.” In Gender and Entrepreneurial Activity edited by Albert N. Link.
- Odabas, Meltem Thomas J. Holt, and Ronald L. Breiger (in Press). “Markets as Governance Environments for Organizations at the Edge of Illegality: Insights from Social Network Analysis”, American Behavioral Scientist.
Odabas, Meltem, Thomas J. Holt, and Ronald L. Breiger. 2017. "Governance in Online Stolen Data Markets." Pp. 87-107 in The Architecture of Illegal Markets: Towards an Economic Sociology of Illegality in the Economy, edited by Jens Beckert and Matias Dewey. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Web link: https://books.google.com/books?id=mEsrDwAAQBAJ
- Pfaffendorf, Jessica. Forthcoming. “Sensitive Cowboys: Privileged Young Men and the Mobilization of Hybrid Masculinities in a Therapeutic Boarding School.” Gender & Society.
- Pfaffendorf, Jessica. Forthcoming. “Reflections on Rehab: Navigating the Disparate System of Substance Abuse Treatment.” In Negotiating the Challenges of Conducting Deeply PersonalResearch. Eds. Nowakowski, Alexandra and J.E. Sumerau. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Publishing Group.
Reynolds-Stenson, Heidi. “Protesting the Police: Police Brutality Claims as a Predictor of Police Repression of Protest.” Forthcoming in Social Movement Studies.
Reynolds-Stenson, Heidi and Jennifer Earl. 2018. “Clashes of Conscience: Explaining Counterdemonstration at Protests.” Forthcoming in Mobilization.
Jeremy Fiel and Yongjun Zhang. 2017. "Three Dimensions of Change in School Segregation: A Grade-Period-Cohort Analysis." Demography.
- Eliza Benites-Gambirazio et al., « Une promotion immobilière sous contraintes environnementales. Les logiques sociales du périurbain dans les Desert Cities de l’Ouest étasunien », Revue française de sociologie 2016/4 (Vol. 57), p. 735-765. DOI 10.3917/rfs.574.0735
- Rodriguez-Lonebear, Desi. 2016. “Building a data revolution in Indian Country.” Pp. 253–72 in Indigenous data sovereignty: toward an agenda, edited by J.Taylor and T. Kukutai. Canberra : Australia National University Press.
- Greene, Alison, Kendra Thompson-Dyck, Megan S. Wright, Monica Davis, and Katie Haverly. 2016. “Community Engagement: Perspectives on an Essential Element of Juvenile Drug Courts Implementing Reclaiming Futures.” Drug Court Review X(1): 116-154.
- Korchmaros, Josephine, Kendra Thompson-Dyck, and Rodney Haring. Forthcoming. “Professionals’ Perceptions of and Recommendations for Matching Juvenile Drug Court Clients to Services.” Children and Youth Services Review.
McBee, David J., and Erin Leahey. 2016 "New Directions, New Challenges: The Trials and Tribulations of Interdisciplinary Research." In Investigating InterdisciplinaryCollaboration Theory and Practice Across Disciplines, edited by Scott Frickel, Mathieu Albert and Barbara Prainsack, 27-46. New Jersey: Rutgers University Press.
- Taylor, Malaena and Kate Gunby. 2016. “Moving Beyond the Sound Bite: Complicating the Relationship between Negative Television News Framing and In-Depth Reporting on Activism”Sociological Forum 31(3).
- Okada, Sosuke. 2016. “Structure of Cultural Rejection.” Sociological Perspectives 60(2):355–77. (DOI: 10.1177/0731121416667713)
- Rivas, Ricardo and Michael Gibson-Light. 2016. “Exploring Culture through In-Depth Interviews: Is it Useful to Ask People What They Think, Mean, and Do?”[“Explorando fenómenos culturales a través de entrevistas en profundidad: ¿de qué sirve preguntar a las personas acerca de lo que piensan, de lo que quierendecir y de lo que hacen?”] Cinta de Moebio. 57:316-329.
- Vila-Henninger, Luis Antonio. Forthcoming. “The Moral Economies of Self-interest: The Popular Confluence of Norms of Self-interest and Norms of Solidarity.” Sociological Perspectives.
- Vila-Henninger, Luis Antonio. Forthcoming. "Understanding Symbolic Boundaries and Improving Quantitative Analysis of Social Exclusion by Improving the Operationalization of Boundary Work." Sociology Compass.
- Bacon, Tracy. 2015. "Framing the Family Meal: A Comparison of Social Market Campaigns and Parents' Views" Journal of Family Issues
- Grant, Don, Katrina Running, Kelly Bergstrand, and Richard York. Forthcoming. "Energy Efficiency, Carbon Pollution, and Rebound Effects: The Case for U.S. Powerplants." Energy Policy
- Henley, Megan. 2015. "Alternative and Authoritative Knowledge: The role of Certification in Defining Expertise Among Doulas" Social Currents
- Henley,Megan. 2015. Women’s Success in Academic Science:Challenges to Breaking through the Ivory Ceiling. Sociology Compass 9(8): 668-680.
- Lengyel B, Varga A, Ságvári B, Jakobi Á, Kertész J (2015) Geographies of an Online Social Network. PLoS ONE 10(9): e0137248. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0137248
- Rambotti, S. 2015. "Recalibrating the spirit level: An analysis of the interaction of income inequality and poverty and its effect on health." Social Science & Medicine
- Rambotti, S. 2015. “Response to Pickett and Wilkinson.” Social Science & Medicine.
- Anderson, Kathryn Freeman and Jessie K. Finch. 2014. "Racially Charged Legislation and Minority Health Disparities: The Case of Arizona's S.B. 1070." Sociological Spectrum 34: 526-48.
- Anderson, Kathryn Freeman and Andrew S. Fullerton. 2014. "Residential Segregation, Health, and Health Care: Answering the Latino Question." Race and Social Problems 6(3): 262-79.
- Bacon, Tracy. 2014. "Wine, Wasabi and Weight Loss: Examining Taste in Food Writing." Food, Culture, and Society 17(2): 225-43.
- Bergstrand, Kelly. 2014. "The Mobilizing Power of Grievances: Applying Loss Aversion and Omission Bias to Social Movements." Mobilization: An International Journal 19(2): 123-42.
- Bergstrand, Kelly. Brian Mayer, Babette Brumback, and Yi Zhang. 2014 "Assessing the Relationship between Social Vulnerability and Community Resilience to Hazards." Social Indicators Research.
- Breiger, Ronald, Eric Schoon, et al. 2014. "Comparative Configurational Analysis as a Two-Mode Network Problem: A Study of Terrorist Group Engagement in the Drug Trade." Social Networks 36: 23-39.
- Cain, Cindy and Erin Leahey. 2014. "Cultural Correlates of Gender Integration in Science." Gender, Work & Organization.
- Finch, Jessie K. and Celestino Fernández. 2014. “Mentoring Graduate Students in Teaching: The FCCIC Model.” Teaching Sociology 42(1): 69-75.
- Gibson, Michael. 2014. "'That's Hip-Hop to Me: Temporal Logics of Authenticity in Independent Cultural Production." Poetics 46(1) 38-55.
- Grant, Don, Kelly Bergstrand, and Katrina Running. Forthcoming. "Effectiveness of US State Policies in Reducing CO2 Emissions from Power Plants." Nature Climate Change.
- Koppman, Sharon. Forthcoming. "In the Eye of the Beholder: The Stratification of Taste in a Cultural Industry." Sociological Quarterly.
- Koppman, Sharon. 2014. "Going for the Gold: The Effect of Competitive Socialization on Managerial Attainment." Research in the Sociology of Work 25: 221-42.
- Koppman, Sharon, Cindy Cain, and Erin Leahey. 2014. "The Joy of Science: Disciplinary Diversity in Emotional Accounts." Science, Technology & Human Values. See also supplemental video.
- Koppman, Sharon and Amar Gupta. 2014. "Navigating the Mutual Knowledge Problem: A Comparative Case Study of Distributive Work." Information Technology & People 27(1): 83-105.
- Mayer, Brian, Katrina Running, and Kelly Bergstrand. Forthcoming. "Compensation and Community Corrosion: Perceived Inequalities, Social Comparisons, and Competition Following the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill." Sociological Forum.
- Odabas, Meltem and Fikret Adaman. 2014. "Engaging with Social Networks: The Bourdieu-Becker Encounter Revisted." Forum For Social Economics
- Ring-Ramirez, Misty, Heidi Reynolds-Stenson, and Jennifer Earl. 2014. "Culturally Constrained Contention: Mapping the Meaning Structure of the Repertoire of Contention. Mobilization 19(4): 405-419.
- Savage, Scott V., Samantha Kwan and Kelly Bergstrand. Forthcoming. "Virtual Heath: The Impact of Health-Related Websites on Patient-Doctor Interactions." Research in the Sociology of Healthcare.
- Savage, Scott V., and Ryan Seebruck. Forthcoming. "The Road to the Top: A Qualitative Comparative Analysis of Mobility in the Elite Labor Market of College Basketball." Sociological Focus.
- Schoon, Eric. In Press. "The Asymmetry of Legitimacy: Analyzing the Legitimation of Violence in 30 Cases of Insurgent Revolution." Social Forces.
- Schoon, Eric. Forthcoming. "The Paradox of Legitimacy: Resilience, Successes, and the Multiple Identities of the Kurdish Workers' Party in Turkey." Social Problems.
- Asai, Victor, H. Brinton Milward, and Eric W. Schoon. Forthcoming "When Terrorists Go Bad: Terrorist Organizations Involvement in Drug Smuggling." International Studies Quarterly.
- Seebruck, Ryan. Fortncoming. "Teacher Quality and Student Achievement: A Multilevel Analysis of California's School Districts." McGill Sociological Review.
- Seebruck, Ryan, and Scott Savage. 2014. "The Differential Effects of Racially Homophilous Sponsorship Ties on Job Opportunities in and Elite Labor Market: The Case of NCAA Basketball Coaching." Sociological Inquiry 84(1): 75-101.
- Vila-Henninger, Luis. 2014. "Toward Defining the Causal Role of Consciousness: Using Models of Memory and Moral Judgment from Cognitive Neuroscience to Expand the Sociological Dual-Process Model." Journal for the Theory of Social Behavior.
- Anderson, Kathryn Freeman. 2013. "Diagnosing Discrimination: Stress from Perceived Racism and the Mental and Physical Health Effects." Sociological Inquiry 83(1):55-81.
- Bergstrand, Kelly and Scott V. Savage. 2013. "The Chalkboard Versus the Avatar: Comparing the Effectiveness of Online and In-Class Courses." Teaching Sociology 41(3): 294-306.
- Bergstrand, Kelly. 2013. "Cognitive Shocks: Scientific Discovery and Mobilization." Science as Culture.
- Fullteron, Andrew S, and Katheryn Freeman Anderson. 2013. "The Role of Job Insecurity in Explanations of Racial Health Inequalities." Sociological Forum 28(2): 308-325.
- Gordon, Karen. 2013. "The Registered Sex Offender Population as a Marker of Social Disorganization." The Howard Journal of Criminal Justice. 52(5): 527-542.
- Hedegard, Danielle. 2013. "Finding `Strong' and 'Soft' Racial Meanings in Cultural Taste Patterns in Brazil." Ethnic and Racial Studies 36(5).
- Ibsen, Alexander Z. 2013. "Ruling by Favors: Prison Guards' Informal Exercise of Institutional Control." Law and Social Inquiry 38(2): 342-363.
- Leahey, Erin, and Cindy L. Kain. 2013. "Straight from the Source: Accounting for Scientific Success." Social Studies of Science 43(6): 927-951.
- Martinez, Daniel E. and Jeremy Slack. 2013. "What Part of 'Illegal' Don't You Understand? The Consequences of Criminalizing Unauthorized Mexican Migrants in the United States." Social and Legal Studies 22(4): 535-551.
- Melamed, David and Jurgita Abromaviciute. 2013. "The Implications of Social Neuroscience for Expectation State Theories." Sociological Compass 7(3): 255-264.
- Melamed, David M. and Dee Hill Zuganelli. 2013. "Ecological Race Differences in the Occupational Structure." Sociological Spectrum, 33(4): 341-357.
- Melamed, David, and Scott Savage. 2013. "Status, Numbers, and Influence." Social Forces 91(3): 1085-1104.
- Melamed, David, Ronald L. Breiger, and Eric Schoon. 2013. “The Duality of Clusters and Statistical Interactions.” Sociological Methods & Research, 42(1): 41-59.
- Melamed, David, Ronald L. Breiger, and A. Joseph West. 2013. "Community Structure in Multi-Mode Networks: Applying an Eigenspectrum Approach." Connections 33(1): 18-23.
- Molm, Linda D., David Melamed, and Monica M. Whitham. 2013. "Behavioral Consequences of Embeddedness: Effects of the Underlying Forms of Exchange." Social Psychology Quarterly 76:73-97.
- Running, Katrina. 2013. "World Citizenship and Concern for Global Warming: Building the Case for a Strong International Civil Society." Social Forces 92(1): 377-399.
- Running, Katrina and Louise Marie Roth. 2013. “To Wed or to Work? Assessing Work and Marriage as Routes Out of Poverty.” Journal of Poverty 17, 2(April): 177-197.
- Savage, Scott V., and Kelly Bergstrand. 2013. "Negotiating the Unknown: The Role of Uncertainty in Social Exchange." Sociological Compass 7(4): 315-27.
- Seebruck, Ryan. 2013. "Technology and Tolerance in Japan: Internet Use and Positive Atittudes and Behaviors Toward Foreigners." Social Science Japan Journal 16(2): 279-300.
- Ward, Matthew. 2013. "They Say Bad Things Come in Threes: How Economic, Political and Cultural Shifts Facilitated Contemporary Anti-Immigration Activism in the United States." Journal of Historical Sociology .
- Adler, Gary. 2012. "An Opening in the Congregational Closet? Boundary-Bridging Culture and Membership Privileges for Gays and Lesbians in Christian Religious Congregations." Social Problems 59(2): 177-206.
- Anderson, Katheryn Freeman, and Andrew S. Fullerton. 2012. "Racial Residential Segregation and Access to Health Care Coverage: A Multilevel Analysis." Research in the Sociology of Health Care 30: 133-158.
- Cain, Cindy L. 2012. “Integrating Dark Humor and Compassion: Identities and Presentations of Self in the Front and Back Regions of Hospice.” Journal of Contemporary Ethnography 41(6): 668-694.
- Cain, Cindy L. 2012. "Emotions and the Research Interview: What Hospice Workers Can Teach Us." Health Sociology Review 21(4): 396-405.
- Hedegard, Danielle. 2012. "Becoming a Capoerista: A Situational Approach to Consuming a Foreign Cultural Good." Sociological Inquiry 82(4): 510-531.
- Melamed, David. 2012. "Deriving Equity from Expectations: A Cross-Cultural Evaluation." Social Science Research 41(1): 170-181.
- Melamed, David. 2012. "The Effects of Legitimacy and Power on Perceptions of Fairness." Sociological Focus 45: 125-142.
- Roth, Louise Marie, and Megan M. Henley. 2012. “Unequal Motherhood: Inequality in Cesarean Sections in the United States.” Social Problems 59, 2: 207-227.
- Running, Katrina. 2012. “Examining Environmental Concern in Developed, Transitioning and Developing Countries.” World Values Research 5(1):1-27.
- Varga, Atilla. 2011. "Do Organizational Network Studies Constitute a Cohesive Communication Field? Mapping the Citation Context of Organizational Network Research." The Journal of Sociology and Social Anthropology 15(5): 348-363.
- Whitham, Monica M. 2012. "Community Connections: Social Capital and Community Success." Sociological Forum 27(2): 442-458.