"The program is interdisciplinary and it connects the clinical and medical, administrative and social aspects of health. You’re not just studying how to make broad change, you’re also learning how to make an impact on one patient."
–Care, Health & Society undergraduate
Prepare for a career in medicine, public health, nursing, and other health professions while gaining a broader perspective that integrates the social dimensions of health and health care.
About the Major
All of human life occurs in the context of social interaction, groups, culture, social institutions, and social structures. The B.S. in Care, Healthy & Society will train you to understand the social dimensions of health and health care to inform public health initiatives and the provision of individual health care.
The degree is designed to complement training in the public health and frontline health care professions and to provide you with the social toolkit necessary to address persistent population health issues and barriers to healthcare delivery.
Areas of Study
This interdisciplinary and innovative program gives you the rare opportunity to focus your undergraduate studies on the social dimensions of health and health care. The curriculum requires courses from a range of sciences (social, psychological, behavioral, natural, and health) and humanities (English, philosophy, and religious studies).
Courses in the program will introduce you to:
- The health care professions
- Critical issues in health care delivery
- Principles of inter-professional collaboration in health care and social service settings
- Ethical dilemmas in health care delivery
- Population health disparities
Beyond the Classroom
You'll complete a semester-long internship in a health-related organization. To date, our students have have been placed in a wide range of organizations, including:
- University of ArizonaCampus Recreation
- American Cancer Society
- University of Arizona Skin Cancer Institute
- Spine & Orthopedic Specialist
- Carondelet St. Mary’s Hospital
- Autism Society - Greater Tucson
- Community Food Bank of Southern Arizona
- Easter Seals Blake Foundation (Children and Family Services)
Our students are well-prepared for future study and careers in medicine, public health, nursing, or other health professions. Graduates have gone on to careers as:
- Community health professional
- Social and health service manager
- Hospital administrator
- Nursing home administrator
- Child life specialist
- Occupational therapist
- Respiratory therapist
We offer in-person courses on the University of Arizona Main Campus, as well as a fully-online option through Arizona Online. Watch this video to learn more about the major and one of our online student's experiences in Care, Health & Society.
School of Sociology
Social Sciences Building
or send an email to
Director of Undergraduate Studies