Frequently Asked Questions

Each student's requirements throughout their undergraduate career are based on the rules stated in the appropriate catalog. Their initial catalog is the one in force during the first Fall or Spring semester enrolled at the University of Arizona or one of the Community Colleges in the State of Arizona. Note that students starting during the summer start with the catalog effective in the Fall after they enroll rather than the Spring prior to enrollment.

You may elect to work under any University of Arizona catalog from this one forward, provided continuous enrollment has been maintained. Continuous enrollment is broken when no course is completed for three consecutive "regular" semesters (Fall, Spring) and the intervening summer terms, in which case the catalog in force upon re-enrollment is used.

The Pass-Fail (P-F) option is available only to those who have entered the Sophomore year or higher (25 credits or greater) and have a GPA of 2.0 or higher. No more than 12 credits of P-F are permitted in total. In any given semester, no more than 6 units may be taken P-F; at least 12 regularly graded units must be taken a the same time. 

Only electives can be taken Pass-Fail. No general education, major or minor classes may be P-F. For further information view the university's Academic Policies.

There are two ways to develop minors for students who major in sociology. In each case, you must complete 18 total minor credits, of which 9 are upper division (300-499).

(1) All course work is taken from one field, defined by that department (view University minors). Requests for exceptions made to the coursework must be submitted to the minor department for approval.

(2) The thematic minor, where courses are taken from multiple departments provided the courses fall (roughly) about a common theme. To take the thematic minor option, you must obtain the thematic minor form from you major department, fill out the courses to be counted in the minor, and have it signed by the major advisor (keep one copy for your records). This becomes a contract that is carefully checked by the Degree Certification office. There is a Structured General Business Minor for which students should see the advisors in the College of Business – the rules are very specific. Also, for those minoring in Spanish, their 100- level Intro Spanish courses cannot be counted for the minor, but their 200-level classes can.

Up to three (3) courses may be repeated under Grade Replacement Opportunity (GRO). Each course must originally have been completed with a grade of "C" or lower, and can be retaken only once. In general, both grades remain on the record, but only the second grade counts toward the GPA. See the university's Academic Policies for further information.

Academic Renewal allows students under certain restrictive circumstances to entirely remove one semester or consecutive semesters from their record. This option is available only after five years following the semester in question, and you must have completed a minimum of 30 credits of regularly- graded coursework since that time with a GPA of 2.5 or higher. See the university's Academic Policies for further information.

The rules for appealing a grade are very detailed. You are encouraged to study these carefully. In general, you initiate the process by approaching the instructor. The instructor has up to two weeks to respond.

If this response is not acceptable, you have one week to take the matter in writing to the School Director. The Director then has two weeks to make a recommendation. If the decision is to recommend a grade change, the instructor may still refuse. If you still wishes to pursue the matter, you have one week to appeal in writing to the Dean, who will convene a committee to review such grade appeals. See the university's Academic Policies for further information.

You may enroll in correspondence courses through Extended University, University Services Bldg., Room 322, 888 N. Euclid, (520) 626-8632. It is important to realize that enrollment in correspondence credits does not count towards the total regularly graded number of classes in any semester. They count almost as though they were transferred from another University. A maximum of 60 units may be earned through correspondence and/or credit by examination. For list of courses, see correspondence courses


0 units for Freshman standing, 30 units for Sophomore standing, 60 units for Junior standing, 90 units for Senior standing. 

Do you have questions about careers in Sociology? Do you need guidance on how to prepare for and apply to graduate school? If so, schedule an appointment to meet with a Sociology Faculty member by contacting the School of Sociology, Undergraduate Studies, Social Sciences Bldg., Room 400, (520) 621-3531, or send an email. To participate in career workshops, career counseling, and assistance with resume writing, visit:

Career Services
Student Union Memorial Center
4th Floor, Suite 411
(520) 621-2588

Visit the Student Engagement & Career Development website